The Town of Wales has been documented throughout history by its profiles of civic organizations, churches, businesses and individual citizens. With the 200th anniversary of the Town of Wales rapidly approaching, we note the early histories of the three hamlets of Wales that were originally incorporated from the Willink territories on April 15, 1818.
Willink Territories (then part of Niagara County)
1806 first settlers William & Ethan Allen, Amos Clark and William Hoyt.
1807 Jacob Turner, Nathan Moon and Charles & Alexander McKay settled.
1810 Jacob Turner built the first frame house.
Dr. McBeth’s Office, Cora Johnson’s Store, Turner Fuller Store )
Wales Center (also referred to as Hall’s Hollow)
1811-12 Isaac & Levi Hall settled and built saw and grist mill
1815 John Cole settled
1816 Isaac Hall built first hotel
1818 Ira Hall settled and built a tannery & shoe shop near his brother’s mills.
1842 First physician Dr. Gilbert McBeth, his brother Dr. John McBeth joined him in 1843
1843 Mortimer Stevens obtained a Post Office called Wales Center in which he was the first Postmaster
1850 James Wood became Postmaster and Post Office relocated from Woods Hollow.
1882 Wales Center Hotel burned to ground taking with it two other shops, The Ethan Allen store and Horner’s’ Shoe shop. The hotel was rebuilt the following year.
Nathan Mann’s Blacksmith Shop
1812 Dr. Ira Watson settled
1812 William Burt opened first store
1813 John Russell settled
1816 Aaron Warner built tavern (on land purchased from John Russell), and in 1882 the Warner tavern was sold to E.W. Osborn and reopened as a hotel
1826 Post Office established
Wales Hollow Post Office
1809 James Woods settled.
1817 Jacob Turner built first Grist Mill
1821 First Post Office referred to as Wales Post Office located in Woods Hollow in the William A. Burt store. In 1850, when James Wood was made Postmaster, the Post Office was relocated to Wales Center.
1846 Grist Mill was set afire by Elias Brooks, who was imprisoned for the crime.
1850 Oliver Patch rebuilt Grist Mill